Thread: Tiffen Black Pro-Mist 1/4 and 1/8

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Bruno Delbonnel does it in post. No to troll, but I was in the same boat and that really opened up my mind to the world of digital softening. Look at Inside Lewyn Davis.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Giambrone View Post
    I'm right now torn between Hollywood Black Magic 1/4 OR Tiffen Black Satin--which does very nice things to highlights on skin. Anyone have experience? The decision is for an entire vampire feature.

https://vimeo.com/155725769

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJacZa6QpJ8
    I use both and I find the Tiffen Black Satin to give a little more of an overall soft diffused glow than the HBM.
    Whether or not you would want that on your Vampire themed production depends on the look you want. I don't think they are the same.
    I think the Tiffen Black Satin will give a little more of a "dreamy" soft look than the HBM.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Quote Originally Posted by Connor_R View Post
    Bruno Delbonnel does it in post. No to troll, but I was in the same boat and that really opened up my mind to the world of digital softening. Look at Inside Lewyn Davis.
    wow, nicely shot.

any tutorials on how to achieve this using DaVinci ?

Quote Originally Posted by doubledark View Post
    wow, nicely shot.

any tutorials on how to achieve this using DaVinci ?
    The software plugin called "TIFFEN DFX" does an outstanding job of digitally recreating the effect of ALL of their filters and at EVERY strength.
    I have it. I love it.
    ...yet I still prefer to shoot with the HBM 1/8 and 1/4 in the lenses. I guess it's just my favorite filter.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Quote Originally Posted by Connor_R View Post
    This comes as a surprise. A lot of the films of his I'm familiar with have his trademark glow.

In the world where you don't get the opportunity to control your image in post as most indies are, I like to make the choices in camera. However digitally can have the flexibility and also avoid the image flaws that come with double or triple stacking glass in front of the camera. Ghosting, flaring, and halation really are troubling using diffusion in camera but if you and your AC work and acknowledge it shouldn't need to do it in post I believe. There's a difference in contrast and control that comes with it.

Tiffen has outsourced those digital filters to a company called DFT and they are also available in an OFX version for Resolve now. But they are 595 $.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Tiffen has outsourced those digital filters to a company called DFT and they are also available in an OFX version for Resolve now. But they are 595 $.
    ouch

I have used the 1/4 Black Pro Mist and i really enjoy it. It shows up when you need it and doesn't really look too strong when the light is falling a certain way. (i'm using it with Rokinon Cine DS lenses (77mm) and on Vintage Russian lenses (58mm) with my Ursa Mini Pro)

Quote Originally Posted by Spence500 View Post
    I was looking into buying a tiffen black promist, either 1/4 or 1/8.
    I know each has their different looks and purposes but which one do you think you would purchase for all around type work. Just looking for peoples opinions and what not, thanks.
    I do find the `1/8th black pro mist to be much stronger then I thought it would be. Much more noticeable then 1/8 Hollywood Black Magic which I often use.