Thread: Nebula 4200 - 5-axis gimbal

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Taking a Vacation
    Newsshooter publishing the articles which the nebula for pre-order.

http://www.newsshooter.com/2015/09/2...-to-pre-order/

@iriszhang

Is the payload with the single-hand-system the same as with the 5-axis-version? If so where's the advantage of a 5-axis-verion (if I never intend to RUN with the gimbal)?
    I had great results with the Phantom 3 using as a handheld cam riding the bike and following someone - just its camera sucks.

Will trade my as-new BMPCC 4K v.1.0 for two new BMPCC 4K V.2.0

Quote Originally Posted by gmfb View Post
    @iriszhang

Is the payload with the single-hand-system the same as with the 5-axis-version? If so where's the advantage of a 5-axis-verion (if I never intend to RUN with the gimbal)?
    I had great results with the Phantom 3 using as a handheld cam riding the bike and following someone - just its camera sucks.
    All these gimbals tend to have a problem not smoothing out the underlying up and down undulations caused by walking. The 2 spring arms should help minimize that pretty well. In theory.

The rest of the electronics appear to be the same so the max payload would be the same too.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Thanks DPStewart,

so to be on the safe side, just spend 200,- more is a wise decision. If at all... :-)

The parts of the gimbal that determine payload will be the same between the single and dual handle configurations.

Quote Originally Posted by tyger11 View Post
    The parts of the gimbal that determine payload will be the same between the single and dual handle configurations.
    That sounds logical, and i was thinking the same after I typed my question, but .. hey, you never know, at least me :-)

Looks like the Nebula 4200 has taken over the entire Filmpower site.

http://filmpower.us

So close to pulling the trigger on the 5 axis model, but the lack of accessory mounting options makes me hesitate. Ideally, I'd like to mount a small monitor and my rode SVMX, but I'm not seeing an easy way to get those rigged. The handles seem to attach to a 15mm rod, but it isnt threaded so extending it with a 1 or 2 inch rod doesn't seem viable. Hmm.

Quote Originally Posted by NMSK View Post
    So close to pulling the trigger on the 5 axis model, but the lack of accessory mounting options makes me hesitate. Ideally, I'd like to mount a small monitor and my rode SVMX, but I'm not seeing an easy way to get those rigged. The handles seem to attach to a 15mm rod, but it isnt threaded so extending it with a 1 or 2 inch rod doesn't seem viable. Hmm.
    I know what you mean. Without a place to attach a monitor and 15mm rods to attach a follow focus makes the gimbal rather useless for serious production. No camera is perfect and seems like gimbals aren't very different.

Quote Originally Posted by goodgoings View Post
    I know what you mean. Without a place to attach a monitor and 15mm rods to attach a follow focus makes the gimbal rather useless for serious production. No camera is perfect and seems like gimbals aren't very different.
    A Follow Focus, and rods puts you really firmly into the range of a full-size heavy-payload gimbal. There's not really much way around that.

With the prices being what they are - I'm still sticking with a full steadycam with arm and vest for shots with a rail system and a follow focus on the camera. That's a monitor-friendly tried-and-true system anyway. You can get a REALLY good full outfit for $800 or less and fly any Blackmagic camera short of an URSA on it.
    And no batteries, no motors to tweak the software on and it is a system that has evolved over MANY iterations to be really successful.

These 1-handle gimbals, as I see them, are for when you need to be WAY less noticeable or for when you need to get in much smaller or tighter spaces and are going to use a much smaller camera.

I thought they were really just a fad gimmick because everything I was seeing from them was NOT as smooth as typical steadycam footage. And for TWICE the price or whatever I just didn't see anything in it except "neat-o new gizmo"....

...until I saw DustyLens' (DVXUser) music video he did with a Nebula and like a GH4. He was RUNNING through a PUBLIC super dense street crowd following a running woman! They ran all sorts of other crazy places too. But the CROWD...
    You could NEVER EVER pull that off with a full steadycan rig because it's too large and you wouldn't fit through the mass of people ESPECIALLY considering they're NOT YOUR PEOPLE! This was in PUBLIC!

Previous opinion officially SMASHED TO BITS.

Now, the footage was not full 'steadycam floaty-magic' smooth, but it was remarkably smooth for what the demands were and it was glorious.

So, these little 1-handle 1kg - 1.2kg gimbals are for a mini camera only. The Sony A7s or GH4 is about as big as you can go. End of that story.
    Just be glad we can put a Pocket Camera on them, have 'some' form of monitor, and shoot in the glorious BMD RAW.

That's the win right there.

Too bad I have neither a Pocket Camera nor a wee gimbal. The rentals are still way over priced in my area for what this stuff costs. Not enough of them in town yet at all.

Grrrr....bloody G.A.S strikes again.
    Last edited by DPStewart; 10-09-2015 at 01:27 AM.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine