Thread: You can afford to shoot film rather than digital

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by voxndot View Post
    I shot anamorphic super 16. Loved it. That'd be my go-to if i ever got money again to do anything....sigh.
    Question, did you use anamorphic lenses meant for 35, or did someone manufacture S16 2x anamorphics (which I've never heard of)?

As a line item on a project with a real budget, film can be a valid argument. Walking Dead shoots film because the bulk of the show is day exteriors and the need the highlight range. Most big Alexa shows use a very much film style workflow. Codex raw drives go to a lab for dailies processing and color timing, so not a significant savings.

that said I can see no justification to raise money to shoot film when that cost is going to be your entire budget. Clerks, Slacker, Primer etc would likely be made on Pocket or Dslr now for no budget, and just as likely lost in the glut of no budget product being done now. I say if you can raise $20,000 for 16mm just shoot Pocket and put the money into paying people even a little bit, and get decent food. And to be fair I use the same argument against Alexa and Epic when the budget isn't there.

Quote Originally Posted by dop16mm View Post
    that said I can see no justification to raise money to shoot film when that cost is going to be your entire budget. Clerks, Slacker, Primer etc would likely be made on Pocket or Dslr now for no budget, and just as likely lost in the glut of no budget product being done now. I say if you can raise $20,000 for 16mm just shoot Pocket and put the money into paying people even a little bit, and get decent food. And to be fair I use the same argument against Alexa and Epic when the budget isn't there.
    I agree. Pay people, buy lights, wardrobe, set permits etc...

Those things will make a much bigger difference to your film than 16mm vs pocket/DSLR

+2

Quote Originally Posted by robmneilson View Post
    Question, did you use anamorphic lenses meant for 35, or did someone manufacture S16 2x anamorphics (which I've never heard of)?
    There are anamorphic c mount lenses (I missed out on buying one years ago at a garage sale) but I'd guess he used 35mm lenses
    Toby Angwin - Director/Compositor
    Twitter Vimeo
    http://www.soupkitchenfilms.net
    BMMCC Veydras
    Smallrig, Letus & Ergocine support

Quote Originally Posted by rick.lang View Post
    When you're writing an article demonstrating the affordability of film, not playing fair when your costs are skewed so much by heavily discounted stock costs. If you're buying film, you're not going to see the same costs.
    Why? Anybody can buy short ends and recans, and anyone with a student ID can get a massive discount from Kodak.