Thread: Calibration Monitor for Rec 709 or Resolve LUT

1. #1 Calibration Monitor for Rec 709 or Resolve LUT 
    Hi guys trying to understand something but before i go just FYI i already calibrated resolve using dispcalGUI and calman

Ok Resolve viewer when calibrating for Rec 709 can only see the calibration if you load the 3d lut in to the Resolve viewer. But cant see the calibration if you just calibrate the monitor and don't load the lut dispcalGUI I don't know if Resolve interacts with the OS color management or if it will just ignore it

Now calibrating Resolve viewer without decklink card would one get same results from resolve if one was calibrating the monitor that is connected via deck link mini monitor card just trying to decide if i need decklink mini since i am short on space in my mac when it comes to installing new Hardware

Thanks guys much apriciated

Mac pro 2009 running windows
    ATI radeon 5770
    GTX 870
    gtx 550ti
    full version of resolve
    DELL U2410 wide gamut monitor FOR COLOR
    Second dell for scope

PS i am nor a pro so right now don't need fsi monitor but would like to get dell as close as possible

Thanks

Why are you running windows???

You will only get correct colour if you use a calibrator. They cheapest x-rite or datacolor spyder will do the job.

You don't calibrate for rec709 if you are calibrating your monitor, you calibrate it for 'true' standard colour and resolve will make the picture look correct.
    Toby Angwin - Director/Compositor
    Twitter Vimeo
    http://www.soupkitchenfilms.net
    BMMCC Veydras
    Smallrig, Letus & Ergocine support

First, there is no "one" standard video color space. It all depends in the standard color space for a particular venue.
    Rec.709 is the standard color space for broadcast as ITU Rec.2020 is the standard for 4K (3840x2160) and 8K 7680x4320), as P3 is the standard for theatrical distribution, among other as, ACES and OCES.

The color space calibration of the reference monitor should match the standard delivery color space of the program final destination.

Second, if the monitor doesn't support loading and saving 3D LUT or any, a LUT-Box is needed.

To get off topic

i have the i1 probe

because i don't like osx never did and osx has some problems with color management not sure what but i believe it resets the calibration or dos not allow for calibration something with video card cant remember but there is such problems in windows

well The gamma variation between sRGB (true standard) and Rec709 is next to invisible but keeping it to rec 709 but this is debatable
    Last edited by johnny001; 08-26-2015 at 12:10 PM.

from Steve at light illusion you dont need lut box with Resolve you can use the Output LUT capability for the calibration, so no LUT box required. you can simply load your 3d lut in to 3d lut monitor viewer

Just calibrate your monitor with the i1 probe to 'standard' or 'Default' and resolve will sort the rest out. You want to use a display lut, NOT an output lut though.
    Toby Angwin - Director/Compositor
    Twitter Vimeo
    http://www.soupkitchenfilms.net
    BMMCC Veydras
    Smallrig, Letus & Ergocine support