Thread: EVF / Loupe solution for video assist? Those not getting the URSA EVF...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 EVF / Loupe solution for video assist? Those not getting the URSA EVF... 
    I plan on getting the video assist the day it becomes available. I'd like to if possible use it as an EVF as well. One solution I can think of is the GRID 5.0 viewfinder made for 5" monitors. http://www.gridaccessories.com/produ...-0-viewfinder/

I used to have one of those for my EF 2.5K when I still used an offset shoulder rig, pretty much just used the actual BMCC monitor as my viewing source. It's pretty decent and helps a lot on a bright day, more so than a simple hood.

It would be sweet if BMD could release a "side finder" type of unit like SmallHD just came out with for their 5" monitor.
    Blackmagic Tests & Other Footage: https://vimeo.com/romanlegion

BMCC 2.5K MFT & BMPCC w/ SB

I doubt blackmagic would release a sidefinder type of device for their video assist. they would be cutting into the sales of their actual viewfinder.

Quote Originally Posted by 4saken View Post
    I doubt blackmagic would release a sidefinder type of device for their video assist. they would be cutting into the sales of their actual viewfinder.
    Perhaps, although I think everyone can agree that dedicated EVF's are far superior. Their EVF is only for URSA models anyhow. I can't imagine people getting another monitor like the video assist for their URSA and then tagging on an EVF style loupe.

Quote Originally Posted by Roman View Post
    I plan on getting the video assist the day it becomes available. I'd like to if possible use it as an EVF as well. One solution I can think of is the GRID 5.0 viewfinder made for 5" monitors. http://www.gridaccessories.com/produ...-0-viewfinder/

I used to have one of those for my EF 2.5K when I still used an offset shoulder rig, pretty much just used the actual BMCC monitor as my viewing source. It's pretty decent and helps a lot on a bright day, more so than a simple hood.

It would be sweet if BMD could release a "side finder" type of unit like SmallHD just came out with for their 5" monitor.
    User 'Note' just reviewed his sidefinder and said that he was disappointed to find that you can always see the actual monitor screen off to the left - distracting your eye.

To me this GRID 5.0 seems like a better solution - and cheaper.
    What exactly were your results when you used it on the BMCC? Did it give you a good clear view of whatever quality you got off the BMCC screen?
    Because if it did, then you'd get a better image from a better screen, no?
    Or does the Sidefinder use some sort of image signal amplifier?
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

I could see the screen better, but it also made the pixels bigger due to some magnification and it just ended up looking a bit low res. Still perfectly adequate for pulling focus and what not.

The smallHD looks like a proper EVF solution though with diopter, downscaling the image to capture everything you should be seeing through the eye piece etc.

I ended up going with a Spectra HD4 EVF monitor, which will do exactly what I need. Then I'm going to use the Video assist as a directors viewfinder or to capture / monitor on other cameras I shoot on.

Quote Originally Posted by Roman View Post
    I could see the screen better, but it also made the pixels bigger due to some magnification and it just ended up looking a bit low res. Still perfectly adequate for pulling focus and what not.
    That was kinda my question - If you put that thing on a higher res monitor like the Video Assist, or that spiff new SmallHD jobby - wouldn't you then be getting a much better image when you look through that GRID 5.0 ?
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

I have the grid loupe and it is great to pull focus and frame with my bmcc.

I use the Cineroid CL3 loupe, you need to make a little box that will fit the CL3 to the BM, but it's a great and inexpensive viewfinder. I 3D printed one but you could easily do it with paper and tape if you had to.

Almost a year and a half later, I too am thinking of using the VA 5" as an EVF for the URSA Major. I just am not a fan of an eye piece but it will be nice to see if there are any loupe made for the VA 5" today. I would like to use it on a shoulder mount setup. Any thoughts who's making them?

I have the grid 5.0 and also the smallhd 502/sidefinder combo. Love the sidefinder. Very easy to pull focus. Smallhd focus assist is killer. I user the grid sometimes with my bmcc for low profile shooting, but in general like the sidefinder much more.