Thread: Judging Results and Prize Announcements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Judging Results and Prize Announcements 
    First, meet our judges…

These folks have worked in the advertising industry for a combined 60-plus years. Between them they've earned shelves of awards for creativity, writing, art direction, and editing. Creativity is in their veins, and I'm incredibly grateful for their expertise in judging the entries.

The Judges

Patrick Scullin is an award-winning writer and creative director, and one of the co-founders of Ames Scullin O'Haire Advertising, one of Atlanta's top agencies. Patrick has worked at some of the best agencies in the country: Hal Riney & Partners, Leo Burnett, The Richards Group and others. He’s conjured creative magic for American Airlines, McDonald’s, Kellogg’s, Old Milwaukee Beer, Kraft Foods and about 290 others.

Larry Ziegelman is a Chicago-based freelance art-director and commercial director, whose work has been recognized with Clios, Cannes Lions, and a bunch of other impressive accolades. Over his 18-plus years in the industry, he's worked on big brands like McDonald's, State Farm, Samsung and Bud Light. As a director, his short films have won comedy awards at festivals from New York to L.A.

Tom Pastorelle is one of the top commercial editors working in the post-production industry. Working out of The Colonie in Chicago, Tom has cut projects for companies like Blue Cross/Blue Shield, Kyocera, and State Farm, among others. Tom also enjoys listening to Swedish pop bands, drinking pints of Belgian ale, and hiking in the desert. But mostly he enjoys editing.
    Stephen Mick
    Creative Director
    UPG Video
    www.upgvideo.com

Check out the DVXUser Facebook page atůhttps://www.facebook.com/dvxuser
    And the DVXUser Vimeo Channel atůhttps://vimeo.com/channels/558731

And now, the results…

But first, let me say thanks and congratulations to all those who entered. Regardless whether or not the judges responded to your entry, every one of you embraced the spirit of the assignment, and delivered a piece that addressed the issue. And…you made something. While so many others debated the real ship date of this camera, or the true dynamic range of that camera, you were thinking, coming up with ideas, producing, working with actors, and growing as filmmakers. Well done to each and every one of you!

As for the results, our judges all saw and responded to different things in the entries. Their feedback was varied and thoughtful, but they all kept coming back to the four entries below. To them, these stood apart. Whether it was the conceptual thinking, the craft and execution, or the sheer creativity on display, these were the four the judges all wanted to recognize.

The awards for our very first SpotFest go to…

GRAND JURY AWARD FOR OVERALL EXCELLENCE
    "The Essentials" by WholeBrainFilms

THE BILL BERNBACH AWARD FOR CONCEPTUAL CREATIVITY
    "Beautiful" by Taylor Magyar

SPECIAL JURY PRIZE FOR CREATIVE THINKING
    "The Real Reason You Should Recycle" by Joe Giambrone

SPECIAL JURY PRIZE FOR HUMOR
    "Timmy's Poor Choice" by keithlango
    Stephen Mick
    Creative Director
    UPG Video
    www.upgvideo.com

We've locked down all the prizes, and we're ready to announce who's getting what…

For our Grand Jury Award (won by "The Essentials" by WholeBrainFilms), the winner will receive…
    - One Filmpower Nebula 4000 Lite Handheld Stabilizer
    - One Syrp Genie Motion Control System
    - One FULL License for the Magic Bullet Suite from Red Giant Software

For The Bill Bernback Award For Conceptual Creativity (won by "Beautiful" by Taylor Magyar), the winner will receive…
    - One Syrp Genie Mini Motion Control System
    - One Full License for Neat Video Noise Reduction
    - A Free Four-Day Rental of a Blackmagic Ursa Mini (from LensProToGo.com)

For the Special Jury Prize For Creative Thinking (won by "The Real Reason You Should Recycle" by Joe Giambrone), the winner will receive…
    - One Aputure DEC MFT Lens Adapter
    - One Full License for the Complete CoreMelt Plugin Package

For the Special Jury Prize for Humor (won by "Timmy's Poor Choice" by keithlango), the winner will receive…
    - One Lensse S5 Dual-Sided Follow Focus
    - One Full License for Beauty Box AND Flicker Free from Digital Anarchy Software

Congratulations to all!!!

Now, be sure to PM me with your address/shipping information, and I'll coordinate getting the prizes to you. Cheers!
    Stephen Mick
    Creative Director
    UPG Video
    www.upgvideo.com

To make things easier, I've collected the judges' feedback for you guys to review here. I have NOT watered this down at all. The judges took their time to offer up this feedback, and I believe hearing that feedback may be one of the most valuable things that can come out of this festival.

Just That Simple
    "Okay production, but not very engaging. The guy is creepy and the concept just allows him to splatter a slew factoids. It’s messy and preachy. I’ll avoid this park, thank you."
    "It’s a fairly straightforward concept. Confronting someone who isn’t recycling with facts about why she should. While it works in giving out the information, it makes the spokesman for recycling nagging, aggressive, and unfriendly. And at the end the woman just walks away, not having taken in the knowledge. On the technical side, there were a few times the audio was clipped."

The Essentials
    "Beautifully shot, provocative spot. Nice, simple, memorable. Only ding is relevancy. Wish they could have worked in the actual recycling of a can, newspaper or something. Could have been exact same concept, when she gets her underwear off, foot kicks can or newspaper off bed into a recycle bin… then she places the underwear back on. That’s my armchair QB-ing. Terrific execution and music. Congrats."
    "Very nicely shot. I’m having trouble with the concept though. It seems to be more about water conservation (not washing clothes as often) than it does about recycling. Nor did it suggest any sort of action by the audience."

Recycle For The Future
    "Heavy-handed and copy feels like it’s talking to a two-year old. Oh wait, it is. The production craft is meh."
    "This felt very rough in terms of dialogue recording. I think the concept may have worked better if it didn’t play it so cutesy. And the mom’s voice was a bit grating."

It’s Simple
    "Another mom and kid spot? Very prescriptive copy, guilt tripping “think of the children” approach. Decently shot, but nothing special."
    "I like this one a little more than the other kid spot. It felt a little long on the front end. Would have loved to see a wider variety of shots. And I wasn’t emotionally connected to the kid. Perhaps slowing down the footage would help with that. When we cut to the recyclables, they’re still unopened. I think the point would be clearer if the items were about to be recycled."

The Boyfriend
    "A borrowed interest spot, but not done with anywhere near the artistry of “The Essentials.” The script would be improved if the guy were referred to as “Bobby” in the first mention, to better set up the kicker of “Roberto.” Acting’s pretty good, but could have done without the game show stinger music."
    "I appreciate the thinking outside the box. The concept is confusing. The metaphor about recycling actually is better reversed and it seemed more about relationship issues than sorting plastic, glass and paper products. As a PSA about recycling, it didn’t leave an impact."

The Real Reason You Should Recycle
    "Strange spot, but it gets the message across without too much preaching. Production values are cheesy, but, it works. Smart to play off popularity of “Walking Dead”––favorite part is the end with the weaponry. Weird, wild, memorable."
    "Excellent idea, well executed. Done with humor and b-movie sensibilities. What the heck is that woman doing with an empty bottle of bleach in a park?!!"

Timmy’s Poor Choice
    "Well executed. Old school films have been done, but offer a clever way to get copy points across. Good writing. Timmy is a very bad boy and deserved to die. A good spot. Makes the point in a fun way."
    "A fun concept in a ‘50s style educational video. It ended a little flat for me. The getting shocked with electricity came out of nowhere. Also the recycling bin said “plastic” and what he would have recycled was glass, so that didn’t make sense either."

Beautiful
    "Terrific spot. Beautifully shot, simple, impactful. Hell, what’s not to like?"
    "Very simple, but effective. Technically, I wish the bulb was straight, centered and that there was an animated transition to the recycle logo."
    Stephen Mick
    Creative Director
    UPG Video
    www.upgvideo.com

Congrats to everyone who participated! An especially big thanks to Stephen Mick who organized this whole event and to the industry pros who took time to review the entries. Thank you for giving back to the creative community!

Big congrats to the winners! Fellow losers, virtual beers on me!

Thanks so much for organizing this contest and for taking the time to judge! Blunt feedback hurts but it helps you grow. Much appreciated.
    Last edited by schulein; 06-26-2015 at 10:45 PM.

Oh, and there are no losers… The four filmmakers whose films weren't recognized by the judges will still each get a $25 Amazon Gift Card. PM me your address and I'll get it to you as soon as I can.
    Stephen Mick
    Creative Director
    UPG Video
    www.upgvideo.com

Congratulations guys. While I mostly agree with the judges opinions I have to disagree about the involvement of kids. The inherent value of recycling a can is questionable, recycling is all about the future, fossils fuels will likely not run out in my lifetime, my daughter may not be so fortunate. Just because a piece is on the nose or predictable doesn't mean that it doesn't work, we have all heard of a place called Hollywood I assume? Stewardship and conservation are the primary tenets of recycling not tits and zombies. Then again I don't work for an ad agency so take it with a grain of salt. Good job to everyone involved and thanks Stephen for putting this together.

Congrats to the winners! And thanks to the judges for their time and feedback.

" Stewardship and conservation are the primary tenets of recycling not tits and zombies. "

My message concerned a ruined future if people don't reconsider their sloth and irresponsibility. The zombie aspect was a joke to get them on board.