Thread: USRA Mini 4K High Framerates

1. #1 USRA Mini 4K High Framerates 
    Hi,

it's my first Thread here!

I am very interested in the URSA Mini, not the 4.6K version, but the 4K because of it's low price point. I was wondering if both versions offer the new windowed HD slow motion mode. The specs regarding framerates on the Blackmagic Website are the same for both 4.6K and 4K. Does anybody have more information? Because on B&H, only the 4.6K version seems to offer that feature. The Blackmagic Homepage isn't clear about this, and I don't want to buy a new A-Camera without proper slowmotion.

So you know if the regular 4K version with the (old?) 12-stop sensor also features the HD slow motion?

Thanks in advance!

Hopefully someone from BMD will reply, but on the URSA Mini, I think the camera with the version 2 4K sensor can do 120 fps. It's possible that is only for HD in a window, possible it's only supported on the URSA, possible I haven't been paying enough attention to the new version 2 4K but I know it doubles the rates on the URSA as of firmware update 2.3, but on the URSA Mini is the question!

Blackmagic URSA Mini 4K EF
    Technical Specifications
    https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/pro...pecs/W-URSA-08
    As it seems the 4K and the 4.6K URSA MINI'S can shot the same FPS since the Liquid Cooling is there and they both record to CFast etc,
    and the only difference is the 4K @12 and the 4.6K @15 stops of DR,
    and of course the new sensor is only for the 4.6K Major & Minor cameras, The 4K is the old sensor from the 4K Production Camera with a firmware update.

FYI: Both the Mini and the Major Ursa cameras will have the new sensor if you order about the same time as when the Mini is shipping,
    But if you purchased the Ursa say...last year you can upgrade to the new sensor turret for about $2,000.00 USD.

Not sure if it will be available before the new cameras, but rumor has it the customers who purchased URSA MAJOR will get early upgrade priority sensor upgrades (with DIY Install Instructions) before the Mini starts shipping, but I kind of doubt that,
    and what will you do with the old sensor and turret? Buy another Ursa Body only and slap it on?

Not sure how this sensor upgrade program is going to work, but the old sensor and turret should have some dollar value, some how.
    Last edited by Darryl Gregory; 04-22-2015 at 05:23 AM.

Thanks for your replies!

Seems like I have to wait for the first test.
    Yeah the difference is the sensor. I don't know if it is possible to read the 12 stop sensor out as fast as their new 15 stops one.
    I also hope that the slow motion function is available for both versions. I personally find slow motion more important for my work than 4K, which is more a nice-to-have feature. I only own the BMPCC which I really like, but the 30fps only are quite a downer. The GH4 slomo is nice, but codec-wise a mess.
    I can live with 12 stops of DR, and a FullHD 120fps mode in Raw or Prores would be awesome for that price!

Quote Originally Posted by JLFilm View Post
    Thanks for your replies!

Seems like I have to wait for the first test.
    Yeah the difference is the sensor. I don't know if it is possible to read the 12 stop sensor out as fast as their new 15 stops one.
    I also hope that the slow motion function is available for both versions. I personally find slow motion more important for my work than 4K, which is more a nice-to-have feature. I only own the BMPCC which I really like, but the 30fps only are quite a downer. The GH4 slomo is nice, but codec-wise a mess.
    I can live with 12 stops of DR, and a FullHD 120fps mode in Raw or Prores would be awesome for that price!
    I may have it all shit ass backwards, I'm just posting my finding off of what BMD's own website has posted and some other
    users posts, but it makes some sense at least.
    Another thing to remember is that RE:Vision FX Twixtor can make the Ursa Mini's 120 fps look as good as the Ursa Majors 180 fps easily,
    and I would bet (Depending on the type of footage you capture) you could take 120 fps all the way to 240 fps in Twixtor without any
    artifacts or anomaly's, 240 may be pushing it, but who knows until we get the Mini 4.6K in our hands to test.

I almost forgot to mention Davinci Resolves Optical Flow algorythm in Version 12 may just be better than Twixtor for SloMo?

Who knows?
    Last edited by Darryl Gregory; 04-22-2015 at 06:43 AM.

The specifications say, quote from BM Website:

"URSA Mini can shoot at high frame rates and then play it back at the edit frame rate so you get smooth slow motion video.
    Simply set the sensor frame rate to get different types of slow motion effects.
    URSA Mini can capture full resolution 4.6K recordings at up to 60 frames per second and up to 120 frames per second in regular 1080 HD!
    When you need even more dramatic, higher frame rate slow motion shooting, you can use the regular URSA which can record high resolution 4.6K images at an amazing 100 frames per second!"

That reads to me: 120fps at windowed FullHD on all URSA Mini models.
    Full Frame 100 fps only on the regular URSA's.

But I would also like to see some confirmation here from BM.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Arnold View Post

"URSA Mini can shoot at high frame rates and then play it back at the edit frame rate so you get smooth slow motion video.
    URSA Mini can capture full resolution 4.6K recordings at up to 60 frames per second and up to 120 frames per second in regular 1080 HD!
    When you need even more dramatic, higher frame rate slow motion shooting, you can use the regular URSA which can record high resolution 4.6K images at an amazing 100 frames per second!"

Peter
    Correct, and I failed to mention "Windowed Mod"@120 fps in 1080P, anyhow it is still some amazing "technology"
    from BMD in 3 years, and the bonus is...15 stops of DR, and form factor, and XLR's and...and...and!

Anyway I'm all in, but I do feel a little hesitant in my pre-order..why you ask?

What will BMD come out with next year that will make my (Approximately $8,200.00 fully loaded w/ 2/ 256GB CFast cards) Ursa Mini obsolete since the sensor is not upgradeable like the Ursa Major?
    Last edited by Darryl Gregory; 04-22-2015 at 07:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Arnold View Post

Peter
    That's what I need! A confirmation and a more detailed list of features, which resolution and which framerate for which camera. At the moment, I'm a bit confused. According to the specs on the Homepage, both minis shoot up to 60fps. No mention about the windowed Slow Motion. HD Raw 120fps would be pretty neat!