Thread: URSA 4.6K Footage

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Roman View Post
    I think if you were to only go by that video, it looks like what Alexa has. Lots of room in the highlights.

I'm stoked!

I could mention a lot of things I liked about the footage, but what stands out to me the most is the color. There's FINALLY a density and richness to the color that I've been waiting for. Don't know if it's really quantifiable, but you see it in Alexa footage, F35 footage and even Canon C300 stuff. A certain weight to the image that gives it a mojo I've wanted for a while now.

I was close to getting the old Sony F35 for this exact reason last year, and now, BMD has done it. 2.5K is a great camera, and I love the color, but in some ways it can appear "thin" even with the best grading in the world. This though... pretty much takes away the temptation of renting an Alexa, even for a budgeted feature.

Great job Hook, this is all I needed to see. Can't wait.
    Exactly.. no amount of grading can save harsh colors comming out of camera even in RAW.. it needs to be done properly inside of the camera.. I was also close to buying an F35 but rather chose to buy an used CNC machine.

But damn for the money the new URSA sensor looks great.. watched the demo on a few monitors and I can discern it has its own color style which looks very very solid. I'd rate it above F5 or even F55 \(not for skin-tones.. but I never care about them as I always touch them up) and a step below Alexa and F35 & F65 and only very slightly below Varicam 35 (I dislike the greenish yellows very much on it.. other colors are great and very creamy.. hmm).. probably somehow on par with Red Epic and even Dragon (similar quality, not style).

A7S, FS7, C100/C300/C500, Kineraw Mini, GH4 and do not come close.

Let's see what C300 Mark II can do
    Last edited by Hybaj; 04-13-2015 at 02:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hybaj View Post
    Let's see what C300 Mark II can do
    There's a video in the off topic section. Looks exactly how I would expect it to look: like C300 4K footage.

SKYPE (best way to talk to me): Camera_Kholi | twitter
    Avery and Pete: Superseeds Feature Film Trailer

Quote Originally Posted by Kholi View Post
    There's a video in the off topic section. Looks exactly how I would expect it to look: like C300 4K footage.
    Looked like something out of Syfy.

This test was really nice, good on BM for having you to shoot it.

I need a side-by-side DR ramp test against the pocket. If it's really two stops more, it is a KILLER camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Kholi View Post
    Absolutely agree... nothing new from Canon... RAW from 5d Mark II looks better in some situations than this.. I don't see anything "Cinematic" in it

Can't wait to download some footage.

Quote Originally Posted by iaremrsir View Post
    The white paper shows the dynamic range in global shutter mode to be ~13 stops, so with the extra cooling, I'd expect it to be anywhere in between 13-13.5 stops.
    I assume you're talking about the white paper on the Fairchild website, thanks for the catch. 13-13.5 stops, preferably in the highlights, sounds really nice so here's hoping. Though I would be happy to use it in rolling shutter mode more often if they improved the readout speed a bit. Looking forward to seeing more footage.

Taking a Vacation
    done

Stickied, thanks again, Hook!

I'm sure alot of us are incredibly happy to have one of our own over at BMD.

SKYPE (best way to talk to me): Camera_Kholi | twitter
    Avery and Pete: Superseeds Feature Film Trailer

Quote Originally Posted by iaremrsir View Post
    The white paper shows the dynamic range in global shutter mode to be ~13 stops, so with the extra cooling, I'd expect it to be anywhere in between 13-13.5 stops.
    Would you kindly post a link to the white paper? I couldn't find it. I downloaded the PDF but that was very little information. Thanks.