Thread: URSA 4.6K Footage

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    So I'm looking for the frame rate specs on the URSA and can't find them - are they posted on BMD's site somewhere? All I can find is "Maximum sensor frame rate dependent on resolution and codec selected."

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainHook View Post
    Hi, on this page you can find some footage I shot with the URSA 4.6K.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/pro...blackmagicursa

Couple of things about the URSA 4.6k footage for some 'background'. I shot this on a prototype so things were still in development and changing. This was also just me shooting solo with the URSA like previously and is "home movie" type stuff intended to be a quick first look. In fact, last time with my URSA beta video i had Danelle helping me to carry some gear but this time it was just me shooting some friends and around the city - definitely no crew or anything like that. For the kitchen shots and the drumming i set up some lights, everything else is 100% natural light, not even bounce. Grading on this video is purposely VERY simple. It's really just a quick setting of white balance, then contrast and saturation. I didn't tweak individual colours or even shift colours with Lift/Gamma/Gain because i wanted to show the great natural colour "out of the box". This part is my personal opinion and obviously now that i work for BMD people will take it with a grain of salt (to be expected), but personally i think we've made a BIG improvement on colour - colour that i already really liked which led me to first purchase the BMCC as a customer. I think the improvement in colour is just as big as the improvement on dynamic range. With DR, so far in my experience i think it's safe to say that whatever you rate the Pocket Camera to be, add roughly 2 stops. 1 stop in the highlights, and another stop in the shadows. I can't wait for people to get this and go shoot some incredible footage with it!
    Do you prefer this color or the Color from the BMCC still your favorite?

I think if you were to only go by that video, it looks like what Alexa has. Lots of room in the highlights.

I'm stoked!

I could mention a lot of things I liked about the footage, but what stands out to me the most is the color. There's FINALLY a density and richness to the color that I've been waiting for. Don't know if it's really quantifiable, but you see it in Alexa footage, F35 footage and even Canon C300 stuff. A certain weight to the image that gives it a mojo I've wanted for a while now.

I was close to getting the old Sony F35 for this exact reason last year, and now, BMD has done it. 2.5K is a great camera, and I love the color, but in some ways it can appear "thin" even with the best grading in the world. This though... pretty much takes away the temptation of renting an Alexa, even for a budgeted feature.

Great job Hook, this is all I needed to see. Can't wait.
    Blackmagic Tests & Other Footage: https://vimeo.com/romanlegion

BMCC 2.5K MFT & BMPCC w/ SB

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainHook View Post
    Hi, on this page you can find some footage I shot with the URSA 4.6K.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/pro...blackmagicursa

Couple of things about the URSA 4.6k footage for some 'background'. I shot this on a prototype so things were still in development and changing. This was also just me shooting solo with the URSA like previously and is "home movie" type stuff intended to be a quick first look. In fact, last time with my URSA beta video i had Danelle helping me to carry some gear but this time it was just me shooting some friends and around the city - definitely no crew or anything like that. For the kitchen shots and the drumming i set up some lights, everything else is 100% natural light, not even bounce. Grading on this video is purposely VERY simple. It's really just a quick setting of white balance, then contrast and saturation. I didn't tweak individual colours or even shift colours with Lift/Gamma/Gain because i wanted to show the great natural colour "out of the box". This part is my personal opinion and obviously now that i work for BMD people will take it with a grain of salt (to be expected), but personally i think we've made a BIG improvement on colour - colour that i already really liked which led me to first purchase the BMCC as a customer. I think the improvement in colour is just as big as the improvement on dynamic range. With DR, so far in my experience i think it's safe to say that whatever you rate the Pocket Camera to be, add roughly 2 stops. 1 stop in the highlights, and another stop in the shadows. I can't wait for people to get this and go shoot some incredible footage with it!
    Thanks for all the great info Hook. I wish it had built in ND's but I have a work around for that. Is the Black Sun Dot fixed on this sensor or did you fix it in post? Is there an OLPF? Can you speak about Moiré and Aliasing compared to the other BM Cameras? Can the shoulder mount and top handle slide like the Amira to find balance? Can the flip out screen rotate 180 degrees so I could see myself if I was in front of the camera? Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer.

Quote Originally Posted by claytonarnall View Post
    Pretty hard to make a statement like that without seeing ungraded footage.
    wanna bet on something?

What iso do you rate the sensor at? Is it better in low light and are there any issues with fpn? The video looks great! I think our office may have a new camera soon!

Also can you use the shoulder rig that was released today with the grip on the ursa? If so did you use it and how was the balance of that? I like the mini but love the ability to upgrade the sensor in the future.

This looks great, thanks for posting. Was it shot with the global or rolling shutter? If the rolling shutter then it's looking pretty good, although I only watched 2/3 of it then Vimeo stalled. I am definitely interested to get clarification on the dynamic range hit for the new 4.6k sensor when switching between global and rolling shutter. In the NoFilm School article it says "A stop or two less in Global Shutter mode" - does the journalist realise how much that is? On a linear scale, one stop is twice the brightness of the previous stop. I mean if it's 13 stops in global shutter mode, that is still a huge breakthrough but it would be great to know.

Also, fingers crossed the rolling shutter speed has been greatly improved. Sub 10ms would be killer but I don't want to hold my breath.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelg View Post
    This looks great, thanks for posting. Was it shot with the global or rolling shutter? If the rolling shutter then it's looking pretty good, although I only watched 2/3 of it then Vimeo stalled. I am definitely interested to get clarification on the dynamic range hit for the new 4.6k sensor when switching between global and rolling shutter. In the NoFilm School article it says "A stop or two less in Global Shutter mode" - does the journalist realise how much that is? On a linear scale, one stop is twice the brightness of the previous stop. I mean if it's 13 stops in global shutter mode, that is still a huge breakthrough but it would be great to know.

Also, fingers crossed the rolling shutter speed has been greatly improved. Sub 10ms would be killer but I don't want to hold my breath.
    The white paper shows the dynamic range in global shutter mode to be ~13 stops, so with the extra cooling, I'd expect it to be anywhere in between 13-13.5 stops.

Looks like a 4k version of the 2.5k sensor in dynamic range. Love it.