Thread: URSA 4.6K Footage

Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by steve phillipps View Post
    That is a fair point, and I did think of that, and indeed it does produce superb images. I can't stand outboard recorders though - extra kit and wires, it's a real pain.
    Steve
    I hear you It has served me well though, but I'm on the waiting list to get the ursa mini as well

Ahoy! CaptainHook, It's time to put on the pirate hat and show us something new...Time to shimmy up the crow’s nest,
    pull out your spectacles and view the horizon with your telescope, If you have nothing in 4.6K URSA mini then blow the man down,
    but if the URSA barrel is leaking then fill the bung hole Arrgh!
    That would Shiver me timbers, and we be Hornswaggle, but if you find yourself cleaning the Poop deck don't blame us,
    you Son of a biscuit eater, we are Freebooter, and you must be a Landlubber! and BMD will soon Feed the fishes,
    Do Heave ho so we don't call you a Scallywag and Scuttle the ship!

I'm Three sheets to the wind, But always yours truly..
    -Seadog!

Have a cookie!

REF:
    http://reference.yourdictionary.com/...s-phrases.html
    Last edited by Darryl Gregory; 08-13-2015 at 07:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Gregory View Post
    Ahoy! CaptainHook, It's time to put on the pirate hat and show us something new...
    This. I am only one decent bit of footage away from putting my order in. I just need a TINY bit more convincing!

I heard somewhere that they're still working on a fully-functioning prototype. Something to do with CFast compatibility... So I'm not holding my breath for anything new in the next few months.

5. #155 fool me 5 times, shame on... 
    Quote Originally Posted by kennethcmerrill View Post
    I heard somewhere that they're still working on a fully-functioning prototype. Something to do with CFast compatibility... So I'm not holding my breath for anything new in the next few months.
    Same as always. Thats why I quit preordering. They never keep their word. I understand that its a process, but year after year they set unrealistic dates. Best not to concern yourself with technology that isn't even available yet. As history has shown, that even when its released, so begins the process of ironing out the bugs. Same with all new cameras. Best to shoot with whats proven and available now. I remember when I finally got my 4K. Preordered day 1, and the FPN was so bad that It was unusable for four plus months. Literally a paper weight

Also, It would be great if they could get them into the hands of actual narrative productions, and then post the footage. Year after year its the same, a slow trickle of run and gun video. Rarely do I ever shoot in such an environment. I want to see how this camera can handle well lit nighttime interiors. Close ups on actors. That sort of thing.
    Canon does it. RED does it. ARRI does it. Panasonic does it. Sony does it. and then black magic releases walk around beach videos that are more akin to something you would shoot on a vacation rather than at work. I can't remember anything thats matched the production value of Mr. Brawley's first BMCC music video test. Which was super helpful on deciding whether that camera was for me. posting the graded footage and ungraded DNGs, was also super helpful. Is it me, or was that the last time they did such a thing? I don't remember them doing it with the other cameras...

They don't do anything. They don't commission anything. They don't pay anyone to shoot marketing films.

Also, it's difficult to release footage that's embargoed as for example everything I'm currently working on. In fact everything I've shot "professionally" for the last 6 months is still Embargoed. You can't just go posting that kind of footage.

Plus it's often been shot with a camera that's not been certified by the company that owns the codec. Which is usually also why it can't be downloaded when it is made public.

I've seen as many complaints about marketing films made only to maker cameras about them being skewed or hiding "truths".

I like that BM don't create marketing "films" because as you argue that you want footage from "production value" just as many want real world examples.

They let the cameras speak for themselves.

JB

Quote Originally Posted by John Brawley View Post
    They don't do anything. They don't commission anything. They don't pay anyone to shoot marketing films.

Also, it's difficult to release footage that's embargoed as for example everything I'm currently working on. In fact everything I've shot "professionally" for the last 6 months is still Embargoed. You can't just go posting that kind of footage.

Plus it's often been shot with a camera that's not been certified by the company that owns the codec. Which is usually also why it can't be downloaded when it is made public.

I've seen as many complaints about marketing films made only to maker cameras about them being skewed or hiding "truths".

I like that BM don't create marketing "films" because as you argue that you want footage from "production value" just as many want real world examples.

They let the cameras speak for themselves.

JB
    I agree somewhat, and your dead on about stuff being embargoed.
    but hasn't BMD using the same codecs from the start? Also, I def do not want to come off
    as ungrateful for the work many people within the community do when it comes to posting test footage. I thoroughly appreciate when anybody takes the time to share something for the benefit of the whole.

All I'm getting at I guess is that it would be nice to see a few shots in a sequence from a contrasty scene study, music video, or something similar. I mean, at the end of the day, the goal is to sell cameras isn't it? I know what it can do just walking around with it, but it would be nice to see how it handles a legitimately lit scene, with areas of heavy shadow, and what not. It really doesn't take that much to get do a little test on a stage. Light it. Shot-reverse shot. and then freeze frame it with the exposure values. Stuff like Kodak used to do to promote new stocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Asladek View Post
    hasn't BMD using the same codecs from the start?
    In my experience with Prores and Apple, every product has to be certified for EACH Prores codec used in a product. It doesn't even seem to matter if you've used it before in a previous product, you need it certified to prove to them you didn't screw it up this time. So for the 4.6K and Micro Cinema, 4444 XQ, 4444, 422HQ, 422, 422LT, and 422 Proxy would have to go through the process. Unless something has changed.

I just think Blackmagic is doing itself a disservice by announcing, "Shipping in July" every year at NAB. They should just say 3rd or 4th quarter 2015

I agree somewhat, and your dead on about stuff being embargoed.
    but hasn't BMD using the same codecs from the start?
    What many still fail to realise is that within each and every model camera or recorder (both BM's and others) there is a piece of HARDWARE that does the ProRes encoding. This means that each device must be certified by the owners of that codec, and the certification process is known to be fraught (and secretive). Even for devices say that have Thunderbolt. Imagine for example, that they take a certain NUMBER of products for testing before certification. Let's pretend it's a double digit number. And that they all have to perfomr to VERY VERY high standards (which is also why ProRes is so reliable).

So whilst people love to reference the white paper on proRes specs etc, that actually has nothing to do with how it's implemented in licensed products like Bm's cameras. The white paper refers only to how ProRes is implemented in desktop computers, not devices that encode video on the fly to proRes.

The fact that it's also secret even in the certification process itself. Which makes even talking about issues to do with certification (and the fact that non certification may cause delay to shipping say) which then leads to inexpplicable non commnication.

I'm not saying that this is WHY, I'm just saying there are many many reasons why a product is delayed. Some that can't even be talked about. Imagine if you make a very expensive telecine scanner where the number of devices you submit for destructive testing of devices (because it has a TB port) is also probably not far from being the total number of those devices you would probably sell in a couple of years.....

All I'm getting at I guess is that it would be nice to see a few shots in a sequence from a contrasty scene study, music video, or something similar. I mean, at the end of the day, the goal is to sell cameras isn't it? I know what it can do just walking around with it, but it would be nice to see how it handles a legitimately lit scene, with areas of heavy shadow, and what not. It really doesn't take that much to get do a little test on a stage. Light it. Shot-reverse shot. and then freeze frame it with the exposure values. Stuff like Kodak used to do to promote new stocks.
    Those shots will come (and I'd argue HOOK has already done a bit of that)

But you're wanting those tests to make a purchasing decision. BM are happy for you to make that choice once it's a shipping camera. They announce what they are doing, and then they do everything they can to ship the damn things, though it might not seem it. Mostly from what I see, the delays aren't to do with anything internal at BM. They move exceptionally fast internally and it's usually more often external factors that cause delays. As many have said, you should probably wait for a shipping product to really make up your mind.

Look at how fast BM move to develop product. Look at how every year they've stepped up their game and STILL managed to somehow surprise us.

For the first couple of years there would always be threads before NAB about how Digital Bolex / Canon ? RED whoeever was going to show them how it's done and "beat" their features....

Those threads don't seem to happen anymore.

So far they've been very good at (eventually) delivering more than their initial marketing announcement offer in terms of features.

JB