Thread: Crop Factor Lens Database

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon7athan View Post
    AbelCine Field of View Comparator updated to include BlackMagic Digital Cinema Camera.

http://www.abelcine.com/fov/
    That's an awesome calculator but the moire on those buildings is killing me.

Let me know if I got that right.

Edit: Updated.
    Last edited by Pietro Impagliazzo; 05-06-2012 at 01:12 AM.

Pietro Impagliazzo
    flickr.com/photos/impagliazzo

AF100: 17.8mm x 10mm
    GH2 16:9 movie: 19mm x 10.5mm
    GH2 4:3 stills: 17.3mm x 13mm

i think you need to make a clarification regarding exactly what cameras you are comparing, and at least one correction.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Wake View Post
    AF100: 17.8mm x 10mm
    GH2 16:9 movie: 19mm x 10.5mm
    GH2 4:3 stills: 17.3mm x 13mm

i think you need to make a clarification regarding exactly what cameras you are comparing, and at least one correction.
    It's the GH2 4:3 one. I updated the chart.

Pietro Impagliazzo

This is a 14mm lens btw, if one wants wide the bare minimum seems to be 12mm.

Pietro Impagliazzo

The BMC is a 1.5:1 crop, as compared to S35. Well, at least, according to digital S35; if comparing to film S35 it's a 1.6:1 crop.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Green View Post
    The BMC is a 1.5:1 crop, as compared to S35. Well, at least, according to digital S35; if comparing to film S35 it's a 1.6:1 crop.
    Barry, how can I get to those numbers? I assume I need to consider the sensor size with fov? I'm not very good at math.

Pietro Impagliazzo

Quote Originally Posted by Pietro Impagliazzo View Post
    Barry, how can I get to those numbers? I assume I need to consider the sensor size with fov? I'm not very good at math.
    Seeing as we're comparing the same aspect ratio, you can simply divide based on the widths of the sensors. S35 digital is 23.6mm, the BMC is 15.8mm wide, so 23.6 / 15.8 = 1.5. S35 film is 24.9mm wide, so 24.9 / 15.8 = 1.6.

Does anyone know for sure if the 1080p mode for non-raw codecs are just cropped? I recall reading it somewhere but can't find my source anymore.

Thought I'd throw it in there, as we're working out crop factors, and some people may be using in-camera codecs. I think it'd be closer to S16, I haven't done the math yet.

Quote Originally Posted by joesiv View Post
    Does anyone know for sure if the 1080p mode for non-raw codecs are just cropped? I recall reading it somewhere but can't find my source anymore.

Thought I'd throw it in there, as we're working out crop factors, and some people may be using in-camera codecs. I think it'd be closer to S16, I haven't done the math yet.
    I remember reading that 1080p modes would not be cropped but that they would be scaled.