Thread: Clipping Highlights and Shadows

1. #1 Clipping Highlights and Shadows 
    Hi There,

When I grade I typically try to keep my highlights at or below the reference levels of 1023 and 0. My understanding is that these reference levels are for broadcast safe and inform you that you are losing information in anything that clips above or below them. Sometimes though, I want my highlights to blow out or my shadows to go to black, is it ok to blow past these reference levels? Everything I've graded so far is for the internet, but I'd like to be working to quality standards typically expected.

Thanks!

If you want them to blow out, blow them out. You are correct in saying that those reference levels are for broadcast. That doesn't mean every HAS to fit inside that range, just that if it doesn't, you will lose detail in those areas. Sometimes this is unavoidable. Look at it this way: those are guidelines, not laws. Feel free to break them if you want to. I wouldn't go too far beyond those limits if you could avoid it, though, as that would create footage that may distract from, rather than add to, your story.

Quote Originally Posted by rlr297 View Post
    Hi There,

When I grade I typically try to keep my highlights at or below the reference levels of 1023 and 0. My understanding is that these reference levels are for broadcast safe and inform you that you are losing information in anything that clips above or below them. Sometimes though, I want my highlights to blow out or my shadows to go to black, is it ok to blow past these reference levels? Everything I've graded so far is for the internet, but I'd like to be working to quality standards typically expected.

Thanks!
    I thought the values for broadcast 'safe', were 64 to 940 for 0-1023 representation, and 16 to 235 for 0-255 representation.

Quote Originally Posted by jeclark2006 View Post
    I thought the values for broadcast 'safe', were 64 to 940 for 0-1023 representation, and 16 to 235 for 0-255 representation.
    Yea I think you're right, read my settings wrong in Resolve.