Thread: Da Vinci Resolve - Which GPU for your Mac Pro

1. #1 Da Vinci Resolve - Which GPU for your Mac Pro 
    Barefeats has done lab tests of several GPUs to see which best suited the workflow for Resolve - but unfortunately not with RAW files
    Worth the read anyhow...

http://www.barefeats.com/rogue04.html

@bokehtv

Thank you robster180 ... I think BMCC owners should concentrate more on post .. Free Davinci resolve ... great tool

The RAW part will require I/O for than GPU.
    Now the addition of nodes to the RAW will require GPU hands down.
    I first would want to be able to watch my RAW sequences in real time.
    I plan on taking JBs files and duplicating them to about a thousand frames then renumbering to create a long sequence.
    I want to see how this will fare in my workstations.
    To add, Ive had many years of sequential file workflows due to my 3D animation background.
    I find that RAM helps to a certain degree.
    Apps such as fcheck for Maya likes RAM but def likes faster I/O.
    However my experience with faster I/O with 3D is mostly 7200RPM drives and as high as HD res.
    Very rare I render anything above HD, unless its for a hero shot to be composited in After Effects.

I predominantly work in AE and have recently upgraded all the drives in my 2008 Mac Pro to SSDs - 1xOS, 1xScratch, 1xCache and 2xRAID0 along with 20GB of RAM.
    Of all the upgrades I've made I'd say the SSDs have made the greatest significant impact.

Using JB's RAW files on this old machine and CS6 wields workable results...but then again I am used to slow render times because of AE
    @bokehtv

Quote Originally Posted by robster180 View Post
    I predominantly work in AE and have recently upgraded all the drives in my 2008 Mac Pro to SSDs - 1xOS, 1xScratch, 1xCache and 2xRAID0 along with 20GB of RAM.
    Of all the upgrades I've made I'd say the SSDs have made the greatest significant impact.

Using JB's RAW files on this old machine and CS6 wields workable results...but then again I am used to slow render times because of AE
    yea same here with AE.
    estimated lying render times... :P
    LOL!

I guess we will never see an option like AEs RAM Preview with Resolve.
    I for one am not a big fan of the 4ms sync prob with GUI and Display monitor.
    I first experienced this with an BMD Intensity Pro and shrugged it off thinking it was the lowly PCI card.
    Well lo and behold the same problem in my studio with a DeckLink Extreme passed through a powerhouse set-up :P
    BMD tech claims thats how it is....
    sigh