Thread: Moving from BMCC to BMPC4K

1. #1 Moving from BMCC to BMPC4K 
    Has anyone here switched from the BMCC to the BMPC?

If so, did you find the upgrade a worth while investment?

A friend of mine is wanting to trade his BMPC for a BMCC plus cash. While it sounds like a great idea, and I love the global shutter, 4K and crop factor, I don't know if I'll gain anything else out of the camera. Most of my video work is business/corporate, events and some indie films.

If anyone has switched, I would love to hear any feedback on what to expect.

Cheers.

Well the biggest thing with switching to the BMPC is the global shutter at the cost of DR & light sensitivity. The 4K also helps get rid of some aliasing and moire issues but requires significant light 100% of the time. Image isn't completely Flat as other BMD cameras.

Going from BMPC to BMCC MFT you gain more DR and light sensitivity, at the cost of rolling shutter, moire and aliasing(controllable sometimes). Also gain more FOV with a speedbooster and increased stops of light, 2.5k RAW can be upscaled to 4K easily, file sizes aren't as large(hopefully compressed raw comes soon to control this even more). Image is flatter and can take grading further than the 4K's image.

YMMV

Personally I can see having a BMPC to compliment the BMCC for when you need 4K or a global shutter, but it would never replace my BMCC all together. The BMCC image is just too good for me to give up.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian@202020 View Post
    Personally I can see having a BMPC to compliment the BMCC for when you need 4K or a global shutter, but it would never replace my BMCC all together. The BMCC image is just too good for me to give up.
    That's what I was thinking. Will probably hold off for a bit. Maybe wait to see what the 4K V2 is...

Quote Originally Posted by alex1 View Post
    That's what I was thinking. Will probably hold off for a bit. Maybe wait to see what the 4K V2 is...
    Doubt there will be a 4K v2 anytime soon, considering BMD is pretty focused on their URSA atm, and there's no new sensor technology that would advance the BMPC in any obvious way.

But we can always hope.

Personally I've found the sharpness of 4K on the BMPC is a big plus. That's not to say the BMCC is anything soft, but it's noticeably softer than UHD.

I use both. I own the bmcc2.5k and I'd rent the BMPC4K when required. I don't see myself replacing my bmcc2.5k, I really love it over the bmpc4k. The thing I love about the bmpc4k is the Global Shutter, and the thing I hate about it is the 4K data materials. It is not that I hate 4k, it is just for what I do, I have no use for 4k, and when I get asked to shoot raw with the BMPC4k, the materials are massive, and i would push my workstation to the limit to process those materials, and the 2.5k raw is more friendlier for me in post than the 4k raw. I love everything about the bmcc2.5k except I would wish it has a faster rolling shutter. I love really its flat profile, I'm really used to its look and color.
    Last edited by Abobakr; 12-08-2014 at 07:45 AM.

I've actually been using the BMPC 4k to shoot a whole lot of 1080 on corporate projects. I love the sensor size, global shutter, and the color right out of the box is great. Very good for projects with quick turnaround that I don't want to be spending too much time in resolve for.

In a perfect world there would be a S35 version of the sensor in the BMCC for all of the narrative projects I would shoot.

Noise, color depth, FOV, motion, aliasing/moire and mojo are a little different in the 4k. It's a different emulsion that feels "tighter" or has a little more fidelity when exposed well.

I've had all of them in my possession (minus the bear) and they are all little boxes of amazement, but for me the moire and noise got under my skin on the pocket and 2.5k - especially after using the 4k. I'm not talking about noise in underexposed shots - I'm talking about the normal noise you find in properly exposed DNGs.

Of course these are all things that your audience probably won't care for or notice - they all make killer images.

Since it's so cheap to do so - I really recommend borrowing or renting one and messing with the footage. The DR hit is def there but i got used to it pretty quick. I'd get a pocket on the cheap for when you really need the extra stop of DR.