Thread: Pulling Zoom/Proper Zoom Lens and Rig for BMPCC

1. #1 Pulling Zoom/Proper Zoom Lens and Rig for BMPCC 
    Hey gang,

I'm a new owner of a PCC as well as new to the community here. I just watched Altman's 3 Women and loved some of the slow zoom/pans on two-shot dialogue moments in the film. I'm wondering though if that type of shot is in any way feasible with a limited budget + BMPCC.

Here's what I already have:
    -BMPCC + basic accessories.
    -a $500 Manfrotto system

Thus, am I correct in saying I'll need some type of fixed-aperture zoom lens to cover the sensor , as well as a follow focus rig (to gear on the zoom ring)? I am asking here as I have found few posts on how such steady zooms are rigged/performed, oft whilst panning, within the confines of a modest budget/setup.

Also forgive me if this is better suited to cinematography/filmmaking pages. I chose Lens Discussion because if possible I'd like to get real specific about what type of zoom lenses are ideal for this situation. Currently I have my eyes on the Sigma 17-50 2.8 as well as the Canon 24-105 f/4 L (along with a Fotga DP500IIS focus system). Any direction here is immensely appreciated!

The biggest issue will be finding a par focal zoom with good range. Constant aperture is not as big of an issue as long as you don't start the move wide open, if your shot is going to close down to f5.6 when it stops then it needs to start there as well. You're on the right track with follow focus on the zoom. Some of those Altman zooms are pretty deep you'll probably need something in the 8-10x range. There are a lot of c mount zoom lenses that might fit the bill(par focal, decent range, cheapish), but the trade off will be IQ. Good Luck.

Howie, thank you! Parfocal wasn't even in my vocabulary until your mention. I'll keep your points in mind on my quest.

If you want it cheap, look for a Fujinon TV zoom 18-108 f2.5, but it must be model with a "C" in front of the abbreviated zoom range, since only those cover the sensor, many others are made for 2/3 only.

It'll be parfocal if your adapter is precise (not always the case) and it has constant speed. Not really wide, though.