Thread: Help cleaning Hoya ProND "residue/stain"

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I had mine since February, no issue so far.. though the weather has been mostly dry and hot here. never took them to critical humidity areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Retrospective View Post
    For some reason, I can't remove this "residue/stain" on my Hoya ProND 64. My other Hoya ProND8 doesn't exhibit any residue/stain.

Not sure how the filter got this, it's always in filter pouch as I haven't had the chance to use it yet. I tried lens cleaning tissue, liquid and a clean micro-fibre with no luck.

Any help? Thanks!
    Just guessing your pouch off-gassed something that condensed on the filter. And that filter coating is definitely sticky and hard to clean. Hoya's have had that reputation for years - exactly the opposite of B+W. I suggest to keep trying different lens cleaners until you find the one with the right ingredients. And use the finest microfiber you can find.

Here's a kit that has always worked for me, though the Hoyas take several tries. http://www.cleanoptics.com/shopexd.asp?id=26

Zeiss wipes also have a good reputation.

I'd be interested to know what liquid cleaner others have tried.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainHook View Post
    My 32 eventually went like that. I actually ended up throwing it away. The rest of mine including the 64 is fine but using the Firecrests now anyway which don't have the coating on the outside like Hoyas/TrueNDs.
    Wait...what...Firecrests. More ND filters to test out.

edit....just saw the other thread on this.

Taking a Vacation
    Don't think it has anything to do with moisture since I'm in LA Though I have stored mine in that Tiffen belt pouch but so have a few others I believe. I'll contact them on Monday. I don't have a proof of purchase though so that might be a sticking point. Kholi you reading?

If the filters are not surface coated, you might try distilled water and plain pre-wetted hand soap, wiped onto a wettened soft non-abrasive cloth or sponge, no scrubbing pressure just soft wipes or if the stain is oily, some dishwash detergent, then the hand soap, then plain water, then lens cleaner to finish off. No warranty of satisfactory outcome is made either express or implied. Do this entirely at your own risk. If the filter material is in a surface coating then all bets are probably off, however there may be another coating on top and soiling deposits upon this outer coating. For oily stains, some lens cleaner solutions, window cleaner solutions or wood alchohol do not work.

My Tiffen 77mm IRNDs that I had in the Tiffen belt pouch they were delivered with often had a residue on them as well, but it was just a matter of cleaning them.
    The were like that when delivered new and sealed from B&H, I cleaned them put them back in the pouch and next time I took them out to use them, they had the same residue on them again.

This happened a few more times, so I put them in individual B&W filter pouches and never saw the residue/stains again on the filters.

Could it be the pouch/certain materials that are causing it?

Yes it's the pouch. Between Condesation and the dye of the pouch is what id wager.

I have two sets and have had them longer than anyone aside from Hoya, they've been through hell and are scratched knicked so on and so forth but none are hazed like this. I don't keep them in pouches.

SKYPE (best way to talk to me): Camera_Kholi | twitter
    Avery and Pete: Superseeds Feature Film Trailer

Taking a Vacation
    Well only one of mine look like this and we don't know how Retrospect keeps his?

Looks like he said filter pouch. Assuming that's the free one people got for order?

SKYPE (best way to talk to me): Camera_Kholi | twitter
    Avery and Pete: Superseeds Feature Film Trailer

Taking a Vacation
    Mines the Tiffen though. Not sure if they're made of the same wonderful stuff. Hope it's as easy as the pouches