Thread: GRADE MY DNG thread

Page 48 of 50 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 LastLast
    Highlights rolloff is mostly dependent of how it handled by transformation lut or by log to gamma transformation. Some apps do it well in one click, some not.

Thanks everyone! Shijan, did you use a specific transformation LUT?

Quote Originally Posted by shijan View Post
    Highlights rolloff is mostly dependent of how it handled by transformation lut or by log to gamma transformation. Some apps do it well in one click, some not.
    Looks great! ��
    Andrew Bell
    Blackmagic Production 4K Camera
    https://www.youtube.com/user/reklama4demo

Quote Originally Posted by david evans View Post
    Thanks everyone! Shijan, did you use a specific transformation LUT?
    Yep, i use specific transformation LUT in Resolve. This gives me same contrast response and highlights rolloff curve as in RawPhotoProcessor app. but Film emulation in RawPhotoProcessor is way better than any LUT because it is processed in native LAB color space there.

So i generate custom 1DLUT in LUTCalc https://cameramanben.github.io/LUTCa...alc/index.html
    As Out Gamma i use Amira709 because for my subjective opinion it it gives best result. (You can also try Alexa-X-2 and LC709/A made by Sony as well)
    For color gamut transformation i use native Color Space Transform node in Resolve. In Resolve 14 beta they add New Saturation mapping to Color Space Transform node. This is great feature that finally helps to remove hard saturation clipping in extreme values. So i generated 3DLUT in beta 14 and use it in older version of Resolve. To generate those LUT you need to use trim_lut0.dpx (search on youtube how to use it)

So i set my input to BMDfilmBMDfilm, set timeline for example to Rec2020 with Cineon gamma.
    Apply Cineon to Amira709 1DLUT, next apply color space transform LUT.
    So i do all my grade in log gamma and in wide color space BEFORE transformation luts, but see final result in realtime in Rec709.
    AFTER transformation LUT you can apply regular film emulation LUT and add luma sharpen. As a film emulation LUTs i use free GMIC Film Emulation collection converted from original HaldCLUT to .cube format to use in Resolve.

Yep, i use specific transformation LUT in Resolve. This gives me same contrast response and highlights rolloff curve as in RawPhotoProcessor app. but Film emulation in RawPhotoProcessor is way better than any LUT because it is processed in native LAB color space there.

So i generate custom 1DLUT in LUTCalc https://cameramanben.github.io/LUTCa...alc/index.html
    As Out Gamma i use Amira709 because for my subjective opinion it it gives best result. (You can also try Alexa-X-2 and LC709/A made by Sony as well)
    For color gamut transformation i use native Color Space Transform node in Resolve. In Resolve 14 beta they add New Saturation mapping to Color Space Transform node. This is great feature that finally helps to remove hard saturation clipping in extreme values. So i generated 3DLUT in beta 14 and use it in older version of Resolve. To generate those LUT you need to use trim_lut0.dpx (search on youtube how to use it)

So i set my input to BMDfilmBMDfilm, set timeline for example to Rec2020 with Cineon gamma.
    So i do all my grade in log gamma and in wide color space BEFORE transformation luts, but see final result in realtime in Rec709.
    AFTER transformation LUT you can apply regular film emulation LUT and add luma sharpen. As a film emulation LUTs i use free GMIC Film Emulation collection converted from original HaldCLUT to .cube format to use in Resolve.

Holy moley that's impressive, would you consider doing a video tutorial? I'd love to learn it visually step by step!

Very interesting strategy! I need to dig it deeper. A lot of professional color graders are work with log colorspace to preserve maximum color and image data. Thanks for sharing!
    Last edited by AndyGandy; 08-02-2017 at 09:35 AM.
    Andrew Bell

Quote Originally Posted by NvrgonStp View Post
    I really like this one too.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanite View Post
    Holy moley that's impressive, would you consider doing a video tutorial? I'd love to learn it visually step by step!
    Nope, no step by step video tutorial. I already do a step by step text tutorial. BTW it takes me about year of research and experiments to understand that workflow by myself To use it correctly you need to understand all global concept, this is more complicated than just use tutorial.

In chain "log-to linear -> expose -> linear to log" gain wheel acts exact same as exposure(iso) slider in raw. Sometimes it may be useful even when work with ProRes source.

In addition i can only suggest uncheck "Use S-Curve for Contrast" in Resolve project color settings when work in LOG. Just because thats how contrast works in LOG.

p.s. here is same setup but with Bojifilm2 LUT from the neighboring thread

Last edited by shijan; 08-02-2017 at 03:32 PM.

Hey shijan, just tried to emplement your methot but without your luts of course and you know this is challenging!
    Because wheels no more reacts as in case of grading without color management. Lift gamma gain wheels start to reacts more like in log mode. So hard to understand how to control things for me.
    Andrew Bell