Thread: Cinema DNG Import Is painfully long in Premiere Pro CC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1 Cinema DNG Import Is painfully long in Premiere Pro CC 
    I'm loving the ability to edit Cinema DNG within Premiere Pro CC. The only problem is when I go to import a folder of 250gb of raw footage it is insanely slow to import all the files. I'm on a heavy duty pc so that's not the issue: Intel Core i7-3930K, GeForce GTX 670 4GB, GeForce 8400 GS 1 GB DDR3, Corsair Vengeance 32GB Ram. Am I missing something or is this just what I have to deal with?
    Last edited by tharealcrayons; 09-21-2014 at 01:00 PM.

I do that all the time and there's nothing slow about it. Make sure your scratch and other drives are set to fast sources. I drag the first frame of a clip into the project, not the whole folder. Is that how you import?

Dragging in a single frame or single dng is no issue. But when I go to File>Import and select all the folders it takes forever. Same deal as when I go to bridge and select all the folders with the dngs inside. I don't want to have to drag every clip one by one from single dngs to speed things up as this would be a hassle with over 100 folders.

I see your point. I guess I've never worked on a project with 100's of clips to edit. Hopefully someone has more to offer.

For some reason, when you import the whole folder into Premiere, it looks at every single frame as if every frame were a sequence. So if you have 1 clip 100 seconds long at 24fps it will see it as 2400 clips that need to be loaded. The best way is to do what Chris said and drag in just the first frame. It's really annoying when you have a lot of clips that you are working with, but it loads much faster that way.

Yeah I don't think there's anyway around it. Hopefully they update Premiere with a raw importer and make life much easier lol.

There is an "kind of" easy workaround for that. In case u dont knwo the tiny but useful software called "Everything". Install it and hit "CTRL-E" to set match path.
    Copy the root path that contains all your folders and add 000.dng to show only all first frames of your folders and then drag them to Premiere CC.
    Voila.

Of course u could also do that with the normal search function in win7 or 8 but its much faster with everything....and the tool comes in very handy for finding all kinds of other files instantly on your computer. Much faster than the finder on apple.
    Last edited by thomas; 09-21-2014 at 04:34 PM.

Ahhhhh, I'm def gonna give that a try. Thanks Thomas!

That actually is a great workaround, Thanks again Thomas.

In Windows you can workaround it without any other software. Just open explorer, select the root folder of your drive with .dng folders and type to search bar located at right upper corner of explorer window next mask:

Clip_?????????????????????_000000.dng

It search the first frames of all of the folders. Then select them all and drag into the Premiere.

The "Clip" is the Camera ID in my camera settings.