Thread: Bolex/Kish Series 1 prime lens set released today

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Bolex/Kish Series 1 prime lens set released today 
    http://www.digitalbolex.com/news/

Fixed aperture of f/4. All metal cine quality mechanics with long throw geared focus rings. Cover m4/3 format too and fit thin ring C-mount adapters without modification. Very inexpensive for the superb optical quality. New option for both the BMCC MFT and Pocket.

Do you know where they can be tested in the EU? This might be interesting for my pocket cam. However, I would expect a lower price for a fixed aperture mechanic prime...

Quote Originally Posted by MiguelFranco View Post
    Do you know where they can be tested in the EU? This might be interesting for my pocket cam. However, I would expect a lower price for a fixed aperture mechanic prime...
    They have the optical quality of an Arri S16mm ultra-prime for 1/10th the price. The lowest cost new S16 variable aperture cine primes available are the Optar illuminas and they run about $1800 each. To maintain the quality of these lenses at f/4 across the full range of a variable aperture requires much more complex and expensive optical designs. These are mechanically and optically true cinema lenses, not CCTV or industrial lenses.

I mean this in the nicest possible way but on the black magic pocket market I think these are a little too expensive (obviously it was the D16 cameras and user base these were created for). Even if they are a deal comparatively, for a BMPCC customer I think many of use are more in the market for a 150-200 fixed, simple prime. There is a reason so many pockets sold at 495.00. That is all many of us can afford to pay for the camera body when lenses, filters, extra batteries and high end SD cards are required on top of the initial investment. A single one of these lenses are all just under the price of the full camera. I love the idea (low cost, high quality) behind these. It's too bad there isn't something similar being designed at the $150 range as well for S16 only primes for good 1080p performance.

Really? Unless its used or vintage I would never even consider anything worth under 300. Its a standard that your lenses amount to more than your camera. Its the way it usually is, because superior optics demands the premium—There is no real way around it. Glass is an investment. You have to be smart when you invest because it will out last your camera. I have lenses that I've been using 25-years, I'll have them for another fifty, and I'll pass them on to my kids probably. Cameras come and go, lenses last a lifetime. The BMPCC has the ability to produce a beautiful image, its painful to see people compromise it with inferior optics. Just because the camera was a steal doesn't mean its only worth the bargain price.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Hole View Post
    Glass is an investment. (...)Just because the camera was a steal doesn't mean its only worth the bargain price.
    While I agree, the S16 size makes it a short time investment. BMPCC users love the SB to get closer to S35. And S35 just has the larger market. I still wait for sth to come in between the Samyang and the Zeiss Cps (price wise). But for a "pro" the Kish Set with a BMPCC could pay of in one job on the other hand

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Hole View Post
    Really? Unless its used or vintage I would never even consider anything worth under 300. Its a standard that your lenses amount to more than your camera. Its the way it usually is, because superior optics demands the premium—There is no real way around it. Glass is an investment. You have to be smart when you invest because it will out last your camera. I have lenses that I've been using 25-years, I'll have them for another fifty, and I'll pass them on to my kids probably. Cameras come and go, lenses last a lifetime. The BMPCC has the ability to produce a beautiful image, its painful to see people compromise it with inferior optics. Just because the camera was a steal doesn't mean its only worth the bargain price.
    I completely agree. But again: it's a high price to pay for a lens with such a limitation as a fixed aperture. I gave it some thought and I don't really find them that appealing, especially after seeing the sample images of the 10mm. That's some heavy distortion going on, I struggle to see how they compare to Ultra Primes.

I kinda wish they were twice/thrice the price but with adjustable aperture and faster. The images look great, but even for a steal at $300ish per lens, F4 is a bit slow for my tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenga View Post
    I mean this in the nicest possible way but on the black magic pocket market I think these are a little too expensive (obviously it was the D16 cameras and user base these were created for). Even if they are a deal comparatively, for a BMPCC customer I think many of use are more in the market for a 150-200 fixed, simple prime. There is a reason so many pockets sold at 495.00. That is all many of us can afford to pay for the camera body when lenses, filters, extra batteries and high end SD cards are required on top of the initial investment. A single one of these lenses are all just under the price of the full camera. I love the idea (low cost, high quality) behind these. It's too bad there isn't something similar being designed at the $150 range as well for S16 only primes for good 1080p performance.
    There is not such thing as a typical Pocket user. For the price of one of my lenses I could have bought five of the pockets on sale.

I think these are incredible and will buying a set. you had me at "They have the optical quality of an Arri S16mm ultra-prime for 1/10th the price."