Thread: Seamless follow focus rings

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Taking a Vacation
    Quote Originally Posted by Flexinoodle View Post
    What a huge pile of **** there is nothing ****y about this whatsoever, and indeed sean will not do custom gears for people outside the US, or are you suggesting that only US citizens should have somewhere to get printed gears ?
    What a completely stupid response to a generous offer.

Film3r brilliant stuff, thank you and i will be in contact (im in the uk and cant use sean anyway ffs)
    Well said. I get so tired of fanboys and their child-isms.

Quote Originally Posted by f1lm3r View Post
    Just wiggle it on and it sticks in place. It's designed so it sits firmly onto the ring. Say the focus ring on your has a diameter of 60mm, you make the gear just a hair bigger and it'll secure itself on the lens.
    Actually it should be made a hair smaller if it is made from Delrin, the the ring is heated up, then it slips over the focus barrel easily, it stays tight after it cools off.

Taking a Vacation
    I'm entitled to my opinion as are you. Have a great day gentleman.

Taking a Vacation
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffen O'Leary View Post
    Well said. I get so tired of fanboys and their child-isms.
    Listen here "Tiffen" this is by no means fanboy behavior and your misuse of the word clearly demonstrates that you have no idea how to properly use a word you hear regurgitated on forums over and over again like a talking point on FOX News. So chill the hell out whoever you are.

Taking a Vacation
    Quote Originally Posted by f1lm3r View Post
    Dunno how. I'm not selling anything. Didn't reverse engineer anything. He's just 3d printing them. This isn't rocket science by any means. All this information readily exists on the internet. I'm not profiting in any way and just sharing what I know. But you're entitled to have that opinion and sorry you feel that way.
    Hey man, didn't realize you were giving these away. It seemed like you were just selling them for less and that contridicted your statement of not taking business away from anyone. My bad dude. Be prepared for many of them to not fit right and people letting you know. Many of Seans gears don't fit just right but he'll always send a new one for free till it's right.

And all you newbies need to chill the hell out quick.

There have been seemless gear rings for as long as their have been people using still lenses on motion cameras. Helicoptersean is hardly the first or even an innovator in the field. I bought my first seemless gear back in the 90s and I know for fact they were available in the early 80s and am fairly certain they were around way before that. Fairly certain there will be many others popping up to make seemless gears as the tie on ones suck.

Quote Originally Posted by vicharris View Post
    Yes, helicoptersean and yes, you are taking his business. He's been very cool to many of us and personally, I think this is kind of shitty on your part.
    Its shitty that you don't believe in a free market. Especially when he never intended to sell them outright. What if Sean doesn't have the ring size for an odd lens?

3D printing is growing and if we have access to a 3D printer, what's the difference between us printing our own?

Taking a Vacation
    Quote Originally Posted by bpm View Post
    Its shitty that you don't believe in a free market. Especially when he never intended to sell them outright. What if Sean doesn't have the ring size for an odd lens?

3D printing is growing and if we have access to a 3D printer, what's the difference between us printing our own?
    You literally don't know what you're talking about. Please stop posting. 1. He makes gears for any size, in any size you like. 2. read the whole thread before you post.

This repeated post about me not believing in free market is insane.

Newbies chill the hell out.

Quote Originally Posted by vicharris View Post
    Yes, helicoptersean and yes, you are taking his business. He's been very cool to many of us and personally, I think this is kind of shitty on your part.
    It was bound to happen sooner or later. Like you said helicoptersean has treated us well so I will continue to buy from him as well as strongly recommend him to others. His customer service is top notch. That said he didn't patent his idea, so it's free game. But seriously everyone should go with helicoptersean, you won't regret your purchase.

Hey, didn't mean to start any heated debates here. Just to clear the air, I am not selling these. I'm just providing you a 3d printed file with the measurements you give me based on the lens you have. If you wanna gimme a few pennies for helping, that'll be cool. I'm also open to sharing the software and how to make the gear. Also, the eBay guy might be better route, cause if you 3d print, you could get it it wrong a few times as all printers are different. I had to print my gear twice because it was just shy of a 1 mm so it didn't fit. It's made from ABS plastic, at least the one I made was. I'm sure there are other options out there. Here's the a pic of the one I printed and a video show it's not moving.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5h...it?usp=sharing

IMG_20140908_204830845_HDR.jpg