Thread: Seamless follow focus rings

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Seamless follow focus rings 
    I saw that there was a guy on eBay who was making these follow focus rings, and apparently he just 3d prints them. Which led me to look into doing it myself. Turns out it's very simple. I'm not here to try and take anybody's business away, but if you're looking to save a few bucks, hit me up and I can design it for you and you can have it printed at your local 3d shop. You're welcome to send me a few dollars for designing it, but not necessary. This is for a Nikon 100mm AIS lens. It's a .08 pitch gear.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5h...it?usp=sharing

IMG_20140908_093229379_HDR.jpg

IMG_20140908_204830845_HDR.jpg
    Last edited by Park Edwards; 09-08-2014 at 09:53 PM.

How are you securing it to the focus ring?

Just wiggle it on and it sticks in place. It's designed so it sits firmly onto the ring. Say the focus ring on your has a diameter of 60mm, you make the gear just a hair bigger and it'll secure itself on the lens.

I'll post a video or picture of it on the lens. I just had this printed yesterday and hadn't had time to set it up.
    Last edited by Park Edwards; 09-08-2014 at 09:32 AM.

Nice!

Taking a Vacation
    Yes, helicoptersean and yes, you are taking his business. He's been very cool to many of us and personally, I think this is kind of shitty on your part.

Dunno how. I'm not selling anything. Didn't reverse engineer anything. He's just 3d printing them. This isn't rocket science by any means. All this information readily exists on the internet. I'm not profiting in any way and just sharing what I know. But you're entitled to have that opinion and sorry you feel that way.

I agree. No IP breach, so far game. film3r didn't steal anything, he only utilised an exisiting technology legitimately. Vic, if your "rules" rule then it's a slippery slope going forward. In that case 3d printing itself would have a one off application per product category and therefore dead in the water.

It might be that helicoptersean is the Jedai of lens rings and as such deserves any business he gets but this should not preclude others from making the same product. Their right to do so resides in their own process and efforts to create the end product.

Besides, helicoptersean won't ship OS (or at least that was his position initially), so it was only a matter of time before he would be challenged and as a non US based potential customer, the accessibility and efficency (i.e no postage) of film3r's offer is attractive and I reserve the right to take him up on it.
    The Blackmagic Design Cinema Camera - what it says on the box!

Taking a Vacation
    Quote Originally Posted by vicharris View Post
    Yes, helicoptersean and yes, you are taking his business. He's been very cool to many of us and personally, I think this is kind of shitty on your part.
    Sorry 'vicharris' but we do live in a free world and free to choose who and where we buy from....

It's called FREE ENTERPRISE.

What a huge pile of **** there is nothing ****y about this whatsoever, and indeed sean will not do custom gears for people outside the US, or are you suggesting that only US citizens should have somewhere to get printed gears ?
    What a completely stupid response to a generous offer.

Film3r brilliant stuff, thank you and i will be in contact (im in the uk and cant use sean anyway ffs)

Taking a Vacation
    I'd be interested, how much? Anything to save money unlike some.