Thread: First BMC Footage From John Brawley

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    :backflip:

Yeah they don't work.

I don't blame BMD for not releasing more. But, I'm glad we get some trickles of information and some stills. That wide with the window was... crazy.

SKYPE (best way to talk to me): Camera_Kholi | twitter
    Avery and Pete: Superseeds Feature Film Trailer

This is what sets dvxuser/bmcuser apart from anything else. Thanks for the info John.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Ramsey View Post
    Yes. John has been fantastic. With all the attention he has been getting since NAB, he still came across as super chill over on DVXuser. Which is why I wanted him to be a part of our new community here, and have a hand in shaping its future

:beer: (need to upload some emoticons, I suppose)
    Yes - John - thank you so much John for posting here!

Quote Originally Posted by John Brawley View Post
    I'm the only recognised DOP that has been allowed to use the camera. I'm the only outsider that they've involved in their development. No one else has shot with the camera other than their engineers and developers, This will change soon though. There are only 6 or so working cameras, that are hand made prototypes. They will make some beta cameras up soon and these will start to trickle out to others.

jb
    EXCITEMENT! You are like Blackmagic's Peter Jackson! Be our voice! Guide them! Guide us!

Bonus points if you shoot a version of that Crossing the Line WWI video Jackson shot for RED, except with small model aircraft, toy guns and a score with heavy synthesizer backing

But seriously, thanks for all of the time you're putting into this, answering questions and whatnot. I don't know if you volunteered to be unofficial Blackmagic spokesperson to the rabble but you're doing a wonderful job! Beers are definitely owed.

Thanks, man.

Bruce Allen
    www.boacinema.com

I've done a lot more *professionally lit* scenes with the BMD guys but at the moment they are using it for internal evaluation. The camera has a lot of faults still. I'm already sick of pointing out to people the stuck pixels and noise on my blog. It's hard to justify releasing footage that has faults that will be corrected by production. Even when you tell people it's a prototype, they still seem to want to pick it apart. BMD are wary of releasing too much for this reason.

jb
    John,

For starters... Thanks for posting the pics of bondi. I grew up there but it has been years since I have moved to Tokyo and seen the place. Moreso a bonus that it was shot on a camera that will be complimentary to my Epic that I use on most shoots.

I am really looking forward to seeing how hard I can push the BMC, and looking forward to their inevitable release of a 4k camera next NAB for 8K

Bruce: Fancy meeting you here. Here's to accurate skin tones on the BMC!

Speaking of which, John, how accurate have you found skin tones to be on the BMC?

Cheers,

Ivan (apparently the first).

Quote Originally Posted by bumkicho View Post
    John,

Do you have a frame grab from any scenes you shot with a fast lens (anything faster than f1.8) at its fastest aperture? DOF adapter thread in this forum is just mind-boggling to me. Have you had any difficulty getting a shallow dof shot with this cam?
    Thanks,

BK
    I have shot some 1.2 stuff but it's not releasable.

jb

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan View Post

Speaking of which, John, how accurate have you found skin tones to be on the BMC?

Cheers,

Ivan (apparently the first).
    Hello Ivan.

The colour science is something that the engineers are working on. Some things are still a bit whacky. White balance for example is till more "ballpark" than accurate....But I have faith. Those guys have moved so far in such a short amount of time.

jb

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Allen View Post

But seriously, thanks for all of the time you're putting into this, answering questions and whatnot. I don't know if you volunteered to be unofficial Blackmagic spokesperson to the rabble but you're doing a wonderful job! Beers are definitely owed.

Thanks, man.

Bruce Allen
    www.boacinema.com
    Thanks Bruce....

I did't really, but it's nice to be welcomed. I'm allowed to talk about it and I hate seeing misinformation. I'd also hate to painted as "the BMCC" guy...I'm a Cinematographer first and I choose the best tools I can to tell the stores I'm telling in the best posisble way that I'm enabled to....

I do really like the camera for all it offers at the price, and I do know the BMD guys well so I'm pleased to see them kicking off what will be a long end game for them.

jb

Quote Originally Posted by Kholi View Post
    :backflip:

Yeah they don't work.

I don't blame BMD for not releasing more. But, I'm glad we get some trickles of information and some stills. That wide with the window was... crazy.
    I was out shooting some more today. High contrast and some tracking / panning shots of cars....should be able to get those through soon...

jb

Hello Ivan.

The colour science is something that the engineers are working on. Some things a re still a bit whacky. White balance for example is till more "ballpark" than accurate....But i have faith. Those guys have moved so far in such a short amount of time.

jb
    Cheers John,

I have no doubt they will get it up to speed. Its not changing my order any. A pity regarding the colour temp being burned in tho. That would really add some flexibility. I am assuming this is a limitation inherent in the cinemaDNG format rather than the camera.

So I guess that the raw controls are:
    ISO
    Curves
    RGB sliders
    Brightness/contrast

I have a rather big video clip I would love to have BMC as a b cam on, a pity I will have to wait till the end of July even August to get this bad boy pumping...

Say hi to bondi for me,

Ivan

Ps. Do you never sleep?

Thanks Bruce....

I did't really, but it's nice to be welcomed. I'm allowed to talk about it and I hate seeing misinformation. I'd also hate to painted as "the BMCC" guy...I'm a Cinematographer first and I choose the best tools I can to tell the stores I'm telling in the best posisble way that I'm enabled to....

I do really like the camera for all it offers at the price, and I do know the BMD guys well so I'm pleased to see them kicking off what will be a long end game for them.

jb
    Well at any rate if I run into you down here in Melbourne John, the beers are on me - your input and honesty about the camera have been a tremendous help.

Cheers,

Mark Kenfield